Are you thinking about planning a project using Microsoft Project? I listed some notes on what information to gather in preparation to developing your Project Plan.
Determine your final deliverable and/or list of deliverables. The gathering requirements phase will be very important to planning and ultimately executing your project/goal.
- What are your project’s work breakdown structures (i.e. tasks/work that need to be completed)?
- Have you determined summary headers (group headers of logically related tasks (WBS))
- What are the milestones (key events of a project such as a beginning or completion of a deliverable)
- Who or what will be working or are needed to complete the project (Resources)?
- What is our project’s availability (Calendars for the project/resource or task; need to know when the tasks, resources, projects are available)
- Are there any deadlines?
- How much time will each task take?
- How are tasks dependent on each other (finish to start, start to start, start to finish); Per UMT workbook, generally, all tasks and milestones must have at least one predecessor and one successor
- What are the fixed and variable costs of your resources? What is your project's budget?
- How will you categorize your task types (fixed duration, fixed units, fixed work)?
- Should you add contingency tasks to the plan?