I recently listened to a quick talk on making better use of weekends, What the Most Successful People Do on the Weekend: A Short Guide to Making the Most of Your Days Off (by Laura Vanderkam)
Mrs. Vanderkam central thesis is to strategically plan weekends for two main reasons: anticipating enjoyable events adds value to overall happiness derived from an activity + there are too many hours in a weekend not to plan, however lightly.
I listed some notes from the Mrs. Vanderkam's guide. Feel free to check it out.
- Make a weekend plan. Weekends is all about things you want to do. You need to hit Mondays refreshed and rejuvenated.
- Don't wait till Sat to plan the weekend. Plan 3-5 anchor events (3 hours each). Increase the joy of an activity by planning,optimize your bliss.
- Ask yourself what will you really enjoy doing, and make a plan, and stay committed to it.
- Most of us think of weekends as Sat and Sun. Friday 6pm to Monday morning, 60 hour blocks: 24 hours sleep, there are 36 hours left. Would you take a job, without knowing what you will do?
- Loafing time needs to be consciously chosen.
- Choosing labors.of different sorts, yes, your weekend needs to be different thank work week
- Make a List of 100 dreams- anything you want to do. Weekends are precious, they ought be cultivated. .
- Simply knowing that you will leave the house will give you more order in your life.
- Exercising, spiritual, and socializing. Choose from one event from each category will make an optimal portfolio.
Specific action items for weekends
- Use your mornings
- Create traditions : Fulfilling habits lead to happiness
- Schedule downtime
- Make time to explore
- Plan sometime fun on Sunday night
If you want to read it for yourself, check it out on Amazon: