Saturday, April 8, 2023

Reflecting on the importance of your identity and how this influences your habits

 Bismillah

I just read through James Clear's Atomic Habits Chapter Two, "How your habits shape your identity and vice versa."

My main takeaway from this was the importance of reflecting on your identity to help you establish habits. James Clear advises 'not to have a goal of reading a book, instead, the goal is to become a reader.' The goal is not to run a marathon; the goal is to become a runner."

He gives a two-step process to create a new identity for yourself.

  1.  Decide the type of person you want to be.
  2. Prove it yourself with small wins.

Chapter Summary (pg 41 from Atomic Habits, written by James Clear) 

  • There are three levels of change: outcome change, process change, and identity change
  • The most effective way to change your habits is to focus not on what you want to achieve, by on who you wish to become.
  • Your identity emerges out of your habits. Every action is a vote for the type of person you wish to become. 
  • Becoming the best version of yourself requires you to continuously edit your beliefs and upgrade and expand your identity.
  • The real habits matter is not because they can get you better results (although they can do that), but because they can change your beliefs about yourself. 

So, who do you want to become? Who do I want to become?

I want to be a sophisticated, consistent investor.
I want to be a philanthropist who is consistently giving back and supporting worthy intitiaves
I want to be an athlete who consistently lifts and runs 5-6 times a week.
I want to be the best leader who serves and helps his team be the best version of themselves
I want to best son, father, brother, and community member.
I want to be a reader that applies knowledge in creative methods.
I want to be a writer who consistently generates content that uplifts and inspires people

Step One of the two-step person written down. Now, I need to work on creating small wins to support these goals.

Hope you figure out who you are trying to be!




No comments: