Thursday, August 20, 2009

Come closer to your Lord

Bismillah

Abu Hurayiah related that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "Surely Allah, the Exalted said, "Whoever shows enmity to an ally of mine, I have waged war upon him. My servant does not draw near to me with anything more beloved to me than what I have obligated upon him. My servant continues drawing upon me with the voluntary acts until I love him. Once I love him, I am his hearing with which he hears, his sight with which he sees, his hand with which he grasps, and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask of Me, I would surely grant it to him. If he were to seek refuge in Me, I would surely protect him.""
(related by Bukhari)

My take:
1. Take care of the obligatory acts
2. Perform some extra voluntary good deeds
3. Once your Lord loves you, all of your actions are blessed and all of you have to do is keep your trust in your Lord.

This is a beautiful hadith reminding us how we can become closer to our Lord and how this level of God conscious will make our matters in this life easy, iA.

Some reflections from my knee surgery:

Alhamdulliah, the surgery was less severe than planned. It is remarkable how we take many of our Lord's blessings for granted. I was given local anesthesia through my spine and medicine to fall asleep during the procedure.

Typically, after the anesthesia/surgery, it takes a hour or two to gain your feelings back. In my case, it actually took 6 hours to gain the ability to completely control my legs. And, subhanAllah (glory be your Lord), it is a scary feeling, looking at your legs and feet, and not being able to move them or feel them as someone pokes at them...

I gained a new level of appreciation for the ability to walk, use the bathroom, etc. It is easy to forget about life's blessings when we are focused our own issues or not remembering our Lord. I hope we all are able to use our gifts and strengths for the betterment of our communities.

May Allah always bless us with contentment of hearts and help us be cognizant of the blessings He has bestowed upon us. Ameen.


Be safe and take care.

Peace-

1 comment:

thelegacymaker said...

thats from the halaqa

subhanAllah, thanks for sharing your reflections bro.